Thursday 27 November 2014

No. 3 Alice Donut - My Boyfriend's Back

Alice Donut's version of My Boyfriend's Back, released on the consistently fabulous Alternative Tentacles, was a rather unlikely micro-hit amongst the indie crowd at Leeds University in the early 90s as I recall. It's typically scabrous Donut fare, though no more sinister than the original version as popularised by The Angels, frankly, with its gleeful anticipation of a beating for the unwanted suitor upon said boyfriend's return. This single appears to have been a stop-gap prior to the release of Mule, for my money, their finest album. The other b-side (it is self-deprecatingly a double b-side), is a pretty decent tune too; a reworking of Demonologist, a track of the previous album, Bucketfuls of Sickness and Horror in an Otherwise Meaningless Life. I fondly remember seeing them at the Duchess of York in Leeds (RIP) at around this time, but I have no idea of the precise date; any suggestions would be warmly received though.



No comments:

Post a Comment